Monday, April 13, 2015

Misadventures!


My great plan to share photos and commentary about this trip
may just be commentary.

On Sunday while waiting for flight from SFO to Frankfurt,
I read that Apple was phasing out iPhotos in favor of
Photos and that it would be an upgrade.
So I signed on
and now while I can see my photos
I haven't figured out how to get them from Photos file
to the blog.

I won't spend too much of my vacation time
trying to figure it out, so for the time being
I'll update this way.

Long, 'cozy' and uneventful
11 hour flight to Frankfurt.
After  a delay in Frankfurt, flying on to Venice,
over the Austrian Alps.
You would have enjoyed the photos
taken from the plane of the snow-capped mountains!

The reported 7 to 10 minutes walk from terminal to
water taxi dock, should read: 15 to 20 minutes for travelers who've
left middle-age in the dust,  who haven't slept much of the last 24 hours, and dragging heavy bags.
Waiting for vaporetto unintentionally entertained by a two British
couples who were chatting with each other about
their world travels.."you MUST take the train from Victoria to Cape Town".
"Have you been to Peru?"
"Oh, altitude sickness is much ado about nothing"
It was like watching a British soap opera.

I doggedly searched for a hotel near the train
station so that Wednesday trip from Venice
to Florence, then on to Siena would not be about
 dragging bags over cobblestones, up and down
bridges to get to the train station.
That was a success.  What I didn't research
was how far the nearest vaporetto (water taxi) stop, from airport was to
the hotel.
 Inactive old-age might be further away
as suspected.
Dragged bags over bridges, down bridges
down alleys, across piazzas, asking someone
in every block to point the right direction.
Eventually made it down the narrow alley (calle)
where the bed and breakfast, La Locanda Di Osaria is located.  Guess what?
Room is on the third floor and of course,
no elevator.

Here I am at 2:30 a.m., the neighborhood
finally quiet, writing this, since it seems
to be the time of day I can actually be on line for more
than a couple of minutes, without losing connection.

Expect to wake up in a few hours, refreshed from the
travel part of traveling, and looking forward to breakfast
and a day of exploring Venice.  I'll take
lots of photos, which hopefully you can
all see one of these days.
I can report that Venice is still charming,
friendly, a visual feast and I still love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment