Sunday, January 4, 2015

Perché Montepulciano?


Getting to spend a few months in Tuscany has been a dream that has been a long time percolating.  The choice of Montepulciano, specifically, came after I read, "Vanilla Beans and Brodo" by Isabella Dusi, about living in Montalcino (next village to Montepulciano).

It's a beautiful village, small and not too tourist over-run, and it challenges me to climb.  Something I'm always reluctant to do because of breathing issues with exertion.  It's nothing that will kill me and surely climbing the hills of Montepulciano will be more fun than climbing the stairs at the back of the Sacramento Convention Center for exercise.

I've read all of Frances Mayes' and Marlena di Blasi's memoirs about life in Tuscany and now can't wait to create my own memories of time in Tuscany.  I want an immersion in Tuscany with an eye to a 3 months stay in the future.  During the trip this year in Tuscany, I will scout out a larger abode for a 3 month stay where I can invite family and friends...all part of the dream.

When I turned 70 in November, 2014 and could see the tunnel, if not not the light at the end of it, I knew that the time had come to live my dream.  There will not be a better time than now to proceed with concrete plans to spend a couple of weeks in 2015 in Montepulciano, with visits to other nearby towns in Tuscany.

Quote from a wine tour site regarding the hilly village: 


 "In Montepulciano wear good comfortable footwear as this town is very hilly and a challenge even for the fittest of us. Montepulciano is full of wonderful small artisan shops and has a few historical wine cellars.




And, of course, having time to photograph every inch, nook and cranny of the village will be my great joy.




1 comment:

  1. Hopefully you will continue to post stunning photos - of your own as well as ones that inspire you

    ReplyDelete